Mismatch

A bit of an odd one this. I'm playing on board one for our second team, away to Southgate. When we turn up they have a team list showing players for board two downwards, but have left the top board blank. There seems to be some doubt about whether their man will turn up. As we take our seats I am facing an empty chair.

Meanwhile, a couple of new members (both teenagers, I'd guess) are hanging around hoping for someone to take charge and arrange a game for them. One of them spots the gap opposite me. "Shall I play that guy?" he asks. He seems to be unaware that we're playing a team match. Presumably he is likely to struggle on the higher boards. Supposedly, we're still hoping that Southgate's usual top board will arrive. Nevertheless, their captain waves him on; and I have an Opponent.

For the first couple of moves I worry that perhaps Opponent will prove to be unexpectedly strong, and that I will be humiliated by the first kid who walked in from the street. But it soon becomes clear that this is not the case, and at move twelve Opponent drops his first piece.

Alas, someone seems to have advised him never to resign (which would perhaps be good advice against players of his own strength). Alas again, someone has apparently advised him to use all of his time. It takes two tedious hours to deliver checkmate. The evening is thoroughly unsatisfactory.

I should make clear that I do not blame Opponent for my disgruntlement in any way. We all start somewhere. However, I do think it was a mistake to allow him to play this game. It's a particularly peculiar decision if there was really any expectation that the usual top board was on his way (he never did turn up). Better, surely, to hold out for the regular player; and ask me to play some quick games against the new guy when my opponent didn't show? Or, to shuffle the players who were available up a board and put the newcomer at the bottom?

Here's the game, for what it's worth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boring System