The London System, again

Very attentive followers of this blog might recall this game, where I expressed surprise that an Opponent who outrated me fairly substantially should choose nothing more ambitious with the white pieces than the London System.

I still consider this the principled position, but it would be a dull world if we all thought the same way - and when I met the same Opponent again this week, he was sticking to his guns.

Not for the first time, my view of the game was very different while playing it than it is with the benefit of hindsight. At the time it felt as though White was building up a rather frightening attack. Now, however, and especially with our silicon friend calmly refuting all tries, it looks as if there really wasn't much to fear.

Two key moments in the game both involved me blundering, only to be followed by Opponent blundering worse. (Chess is an ugly game at my level). First, at move 21:



Here I hastily played 21. ... Bxh4 (21. ... Rxf5 seems to be fine) which should simply lose a pawn after 22. Nxh4 exf5 23. Nxf5. Perhaps Opponent was spooked by 23. ... Bc8 (though he has no problems after 24. Bxe4 dxe4 25. Qh5) because instead he went with 23. Rxf5, losing material to 23. ... Nf2+.

By move 30, then, I'm doing well:



Here I played 30. ... Qe7. It's the right idea but significantly less accurate than 30. ... Qd8, which would have prevented 31. Ne4. Opponent missed the threat and obligingly played 31. e6. Readers who don't see the problem are referred to the game.

This game was played at Hertford where, as kingscrusher has already reported, we won the match 3.5-1.5. As regular relegation candidates in the Hertfordshire first division, it's very pleasing to start the season with two match wins.

Comments

Blogurway said…
Hello friend you have a nice blog here…well done…check our too: http://homeofchess.blogspot.com
I am sure you gonna love it.I humbly request you place a link of our blog in your blogroll.Your blog is already in our blogroll.Now why should link to us?Just go through our blog you will know coz we provide quality content & have a good reader base.You may also like take a look at this post : http://homeofchess.blogspot.com/2008/12/write-for-chess-blog.html
I really look forward to have a good relationship with you.Have a good day & keep up the good work.You can reach me at thechessyman@gmail.com
Waiting for a prompt reply from your side.

Popular posts from this blog

The Boring System