Inactivity

When I was last here, some months ago, my chess was going rather well. Results from the second half of the season, though, were distinctly less good - I reckon that I lost about a dozen (ECF) grading points by continuing to play from April onwards.

Obviously it's not all about the grades, but while I'm on the topic... I see that the online database claims that I played 26 games last season. I can only find 25. I wonder how I did in that bonus game.

So anyway, I'd better start working my way through the backlog - here's the first of several more-or-less disappointing games.

If I remember rightly Opponent offered a draw at move 13 or thereabouts, which I turned down mostly on the grounds that it was a bit early for that sort of thing. Instead I went wrong almost immediately with 14. ... e5?. It's a doubly bad move; tactically speaking I'd stopped too soon (at 18. ... exf3, failing to notice that 19. Bxf3 hit my knight), but in any case it doesn't now look like the sort of move that Black should be playing even if it were not an outright blunder. A definite case of trying too hard to make something happen - perhaps the draw offer was a cunning piece of provocation all along!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boring System