Still blundering

Another game, another blunder. This one is oddly similar to a previous disaster - maybe I have a blind spot for pins on the g-file.

If I was shocked when Opponent took my rook, I almost fell off my chair when he offered a draw at the same time. I'm not sure what prompted this generosity - with the match still in the balance and rating points at stake, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be giving up half points so easily. I guess some people are nicer than others, but to me this is too much. If I make a stupid move, then I should lose a stupid game; that's just how chess is.

On the other hand... well, the match was still in the balance - but actually, the result probably won't make any significant difference to final league positions, so it doesn't mean a lot. And rating points - well, they don't really matter either, do they? Next season, my grade will be a couple of points higher than it might have been (and Opponent's will be a couple of points lower), and so what? If you're playing chess for the pleasure of the game and, perhaps, to socialize a bit (and isn't that why we play?) - well, then Opponent's draw offer is a perfectly rational one.

I couldn't have made it myself, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boring System

Link repair at barnetchessclub.com